Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The meaning of my being

As mentioned yesterday I set out on an adventure last week, an adventure to learn how to snowboard. I have been skiing for what seems like forever it is the meaning of my being, so snowboarding should not be that difficult for me to catch on to, right?
After getting fitted for snowboarding boats and making sure I knew how to buckle myself into Katie's board Maddy and I hopped onto the gondola.

Not only had the mountains been my home away from home for so many years and Maddy is a regular snowboard instructor at BC and I was using a board of a veteran snowboarder, I was confident this was going to be a snitch.
Once we exited the gondola and I met a super hot lifty, Maddy and I ventured over to the bunny hill. I should probably point out that the bunny hill at Beaver Creek is not like most, it is about 50 yards in length and the slope is about a 10% grade, no kidding!
As I road up the magic carpet to the top of the 'bunny hill' I figured a few times down this little hill and I will be ready for the chair lift.

After 3 hours on the bunny I may or may not have had a nervous breakdown, I may or may not have ever gotten the hang of riding heal side, I may or may not have flirted with the lifty named Darren who I am sure was beyond impressed with by my snowboarding skills, I may or may not have tossed in the towel and chosen to put my skies on and head to the top of the mountain. But I will admit I did get the hang of riding toe side, it just happens that when riding toe side I am heading down the hill backwards, I am not sure that is very safe for the rest of the individuals on the mountain. Darren told me it is just like drive, however as I mentioned to him I tend to not drive backwards a lot.

So, I will buckle back into a snowboard next season and try it again. I am determined to get this skill under my belt. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment