Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Living In The Moment

From time to time I find myself in the position of office therapist, shhhhhhh, I secretly love being placed in that role. I have a deep deep passion for helping others, this gives me an opportunity to share tools I have gathered along my self seeking journey, and lastly I love to listen. A past boss once told me ‘God gave me one mouth and two ears, I use them in the portions for which I have them, my ears twice as much as my mouth’. Not only did that conversation stick with me and I find myself using similar statements many years later, I also live by it. You see for me, the lifelong student, the gatherer of knowledge, I love to hear about people’s lives, their journeys, their hopes, their dreams, their struggles, their triumphs, their losses, their loves. I love to gather knowledge and use that knowledge to help them use their voice, follow their dreams, overcome their struggles, and live the life they deserve to live. Today I had a candid conversation with a friend in which they were seeking advice on how to overcome a frustration. The conversation went something like this: Do people who ‘play it by ear’ bother you? Situations in which people used the ‘play it by ear’ card use to bug me A LOT but I more understanding to it now. What changed to make you more understanding towards it? It seems to me people who use these statements are trying to maintain maximum flexibility in case something else comes up that’s more exciting. Living in the moment and also realizing that everyone lives their life differently is what has allowed me the understanding I needed to see situations like this more clearly. I needed to appreciate that just because I tend to not ‘play it by ear’ does not mean that is right or wrong, everyone is different and the choices they make in their life are different. That is a good way of looking at it, but the other is also true Could you possibly try looking at it from the perspective of flexibility, maybe focusing on opportunity as opposed to waiting for something better? I believe you may very well be correct, in some cases people are possibly leaving themselves wide open for something better. Yet there are plenty of other valid reasons for the state of ‘playing it by ear’; people have a hard time committing, people have different personalities, ect. Very true, thanks you. I will fill you in on a little secret. The more you let yourself live in the moment, only concern yourself with what you can control, and realize people are people; we all have amazing assets we bring to the table and also characteristics that are not so desirable. Once you can begin to implement this secret, life begins to be a bit more bearable and people are easier to understand and appreciatation for our differences is shared. Love, JB

No comments:

Post a Comment