Monday, November 15, 2010

McNellie's Pub Run

I run in the McNellie’s Pub Run this past weekend. Now I have run a race or two or twenty in my life, but I had yet to run in anything with the words ‘pub’ in the title. I didn’t just fall of the turnip truck that actually happened two weeks ago, so I was aware that in a ‘pub run’ there would be beer. I however did not have prior knowledge of the men sporting (fashionably I might add) kilts,


the cast of Reno 911,

or men confused as to whether they were at a triathlon or a run,

being present at this ‘pub run’ but yes all of the above plus much more were present and ready to run.
For participants interested in registering for this race there were three choices……..1 mile fun run, 4 mile run, or the 4 mile Guinness Challenge. As a side note I was the only one out of our group of friends that registered for the 4 mile run, I was not interested in incorporating Guinness in my 4 mile jaunt.

We don’t need to cover the harassment I endured due to that decision, I will say though I was quite happy with my choice. This run was a learning experience for me………….
1) Someone who does not register for the Guinness Challenge should be prepared to not have the opportunity to hydrate during the run.

2) I don’t like to run without adequate water!
3) One should not expect the workers at the water stops, or beer stops as most like to refer to them as, to have the slightest idea of what water is.

4) I see mirage of lakes when I don’t get enough water!
5) Anyone who wants to make it through the race without feeling as though they are going to pass out, well they need to plan on drinking beer.
6) I loved running at a slower pace than normal.
7) The Culligan Man should not be at the finish line for I drank him out of water.
8) I wanted to eat a hamburger when I was done.
9) I completely enjoyed having a fun new running buddy for the race.

10) I have a lot of work to do to catch up to Matt and the speed demon he is.

It seems to me the one lesson I learned loud and clear is that I need to hydrate extensively before the pub run or I may end up dead on the side of the road due to dehydration.

My time was not the best in this race, but I will say it was one of the more fun races I have run in. I finished with a smile on my face!

I plan to do this race again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment