Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Time to lace up those shoes.

Well it is January, and what better time to lace up the shoes and hit the trails again after substantial time off, then when it is 30 degrees outside. There is no better time right? That is what I thought.

As I think about getting back in the saddle many things come to mind, how am I not going to die during my first mile out, how will I ever be able to run 13 miles in 12 weeks and how do I get the most adequate nutrition to not only sustain me but also to help me prevent injuries. Yes you read that right, a well nourished body will be better able to withstand serious training. And if I am going to run 13.1 miles in Dallas in 12 weeks there is going to need be some serious training, in fact I might start running in my sleep just to make more progress.

Thanks to Matt Fitzgerald I was able to gain needed guidance on nutrition, in terms of what to eat when.

1. I need to make sure I eat enough. This is tricky for me, because the more I exercise the less hungry I am so as a result I eat too few calories. I know, I know, my muffin top is telling you a different story. Don’t listen to her she get jealous when training season is here because she does not get much attention, in fact she often time retreats till the following holiday season. The fastest way to determine whether enough calories are being consumed is your workout performance, is it beginning to decline……then amp up the calorie intake (good calories that is)
2. Secondly I need to remember to not forget the fats. Ummmmm, I think I am safe on this one, after all next to photography my favorite hobby is baking. What? Oh I need to eat good fats? You mean to tell me, pink champagne cupcakes are not loaded with good unsaturated fat? That is breaking news….phone the press!! According to Mr. Fitzgerald roughly 30% of our daily calories need to be from fat, the right types of fat.
3. Calcium it does a body good…………so experts say, especially for runners. There are many sports that are low to no impact, yoga, swimming and even cycling however the pounding on our bodies from running is rough on our bones. It is recommended that adults consume 1,000-1,300 mg of calcium/day in the form of low-fat or non-fat dairy foods or supplements. Now I am disappointed to report that mint chocolate chip ice cream does not fall into the diet of a runner strenuously training for a ½ marathon in 12 weeks.
4. Time to eat! I am going to try this tonight after my run……to consume a meal containing protein and carbohydrate within 2 hrs after my run is complete. When you eat is just as important as what you in when discussing rebuilding and injuring prevention.

To read the non-cliff note version of this article with more of the scientific information please link to Matt Fitzgerald’s article ‘Eat to Prevent Injury’.

I hope I don’t fall out of the saddle tonight, wish me luck!!
JB

No comments:

Post a Comment