Monday, August 9, 2010

Tomatillo Avocado Salsa

My best friend……

She is turning a year older this Friday the 13th of August and to avoid the tears shed because I can’t be with her on her big day I turned to food all weekend, because that is what I do when I am sad I eat Mexican food and lots of it. My Mexican love handles and backside are a stark reminders why I really need to find a different outlet than eating Mexican food for comfort. However, this past weekend there was no time for thinking of different outlets…….I needed to fill the Nicole’s birthday void with something PRONTO!!!

That void was slightly filled with Tomatillo Avocado Salsa. I do have to admit I forgot about the world around me as I took that first sample bite. In fact I thought maybe I had died and this was the food served at God’s banquet table. But then I opened my eyes and saw the huge mess of dirty dishes in the kitchen sink and quickly realized……..no I was still in Oklahoma with a mound of dishes that needed to be washed. However, I will admit this yummy appetizer…..well it became my meal for dinner, yes it was that good.

Ingredients:
• ½ pound Tomatillos; quartered (about 4 medium Tomatillos)
• ½ cup Cilantro; loosely packed
• 2 whole Serrano peppers; roughly chopped
• ¼ cup water
• 1 whole Avocado; diced ¼ inch
• ½ whole medium sized White Onion; diced ¼ inch
• ½ teaspoons Salt; or to taste

Preparation:
Place tomatillos, cilantro, Serrano pepper and water in a food processor. Pulse until it is a slightly chunky puree. Toss the avocado into the processor and pulse a second or two. Make sure to keep the avocado in good sized chunks. Place the diced onion in a colander and give it a good rinse in cold water to rid the onion of the sulfur flavor and then add it to the salsa and stir, season with salt.

Eat till you belly hurts, you won’t regret it I promise. I would never steer you wrong when it comes to food.

Love ya,
JB

**recipe courtesy Sweet Savory Planet.

1 comment:

  1. I will have to make this on friday!! It sounds great!! I wish you could be here with us, but hopefully we'll see you soon! Love you!

    ReplyDelete