Sunday, February 7, 2010

Potato and Corn Chowder.

I woke up this morning thinking “when did I move to Antarctica and HOW do I not remember such an irrational decision”. Yes……….I do enjoy cooler weather, but good golly this snow and ice and super cold wind chills seems to be even too much for the Eskimo around here.

Because it is chill ya to the bone cold here I chose to make a hearty potato and corn soup. Okay, so I made the soup because it is cold outside, like so cold my blood is starting to freeze, but more importantly because I love soup!! I love everything about soup, all the savory flavors, all the veggies, and how it makes me feel warm and cozy inside. This soup I made today did not fail me in the least.

Here is what you will need:



4 tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped Onion
1 cup Diced Red Bell Pepper
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 can (4 oz) Diced Green Chiles
5 cups Vegetable Broth
2 cups Peeled & Diced Russet Potatoes
1 cup Frozen Whole Corn Kernels
1 can (14 oz) Creamed Corn
½ cup All-purpose Flour
2 cups Skim Milk
1 ½ cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

Place a stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat and melt 4 tablespoon butter. When butter is melted add the onion, red bell pepper and garlic. Cook and stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Add diced green chiles and cook for an additional minute. Once the onion begins to gain color add vegetable broth and potatoes. Bring to boil then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Add frozen whole-kernel corn and creamed corn, stir well.

While the soup is simmering, pour flour into a medium bowl and gradually whisk in skim milk. Add the milk mixture to the soup and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Stir in grated sharp Cheddar cheese and cayenne pepper. At your choice season with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with a small amount of additional grated Cheddar cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment