Friday, April 2, 2010

What trying to multitask will get ya….

I set out a couple days ago to conquer Tomato Basil Mozzarella pizza. I am quite positive I could eat this combination of ingredients at every meal of every day, I love it!! I love it on sandwiches, pizzas, paninis, you name it. The fresh basil is the key in my book.

I started out by making the pizza dough…………

1pkg. dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 ½ cups flour

I dissolve the yeast in warm water then stirred in the remaining ingredients. After letting the dough stand for 5 minutes, I spread out the sticky dough on a pizza stone, drizzled olive oil on the dough, pilled on the cheese, fresh basil, and tomatoes. I then baked the pizza at 400F for 10-12 minutes.



Well, let me be honest for a minute. The above description is how the preparation and baking of the pizza was supposed to go. However, I was on the phone with one of my really good guy friends when I was preparing this, with luck, monumentally amazing pizza. My friend was providing me a slight lecture on dating and how I need to put the pain of my past relationships behind me and look beyond the fear I have regarding letting people get close to me. I pulled the salt out of the cabinet to add to the dough recipe when I heard this “Jennifer you are great, I want you”. I nervously continued tossing the ingredients into the dough bowl, and found I was completely speechless. I listened to him for a bit longer when I said “I need to go, I need to get dinner made and eaten, it is getting late”. So we said good bye, I finished the pizza, put it in the oven and began to replay in my mind the conversation I just had. I was not sure what to think, and I have to say 6 days after the conversation I still don’t know what to think or feel.

Back to the pizza…….I pulled it out of the oven as the timer went off.



I could not wait to take that first bite. That anticipating first bite was not quite what I was hoping to find, it did not ignite my taste buds into an exciting frenzy. It actually tasted a bit metallic, and I did not uncover the reason until I spoke to my mother a couple days later. I mentioned the pizza and she asked how I made it, I gave her the list of ingredients, and her response was “what is salt substitute and how much did you say you added?” The case was cracked wide open, rather than the recommended 1 teaspoon of salt, I added 1 tablespoon of salt substitute. I am not sure how that happened; after all I was completely focused on what I was doing. I will not be multitasking next time I make this dish.

Love,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment