Saturday, January 16, 2010

Marathon Training 101


Marathon training is in full swing and I am loving every minute of it. Well maybe not every minute of it. It has been a challenge this season for some reason. I think in part to the fact that I have been strapped to a treadmill the past month or so due to the frigid tempts. we have been having here in Oklahoma. In fact it was so cold last week school was out due to cold weather. Yes, you read that correctly. Now I don’t think it has been life threatening cold in order to shut down school, but it was cold nonetheless. I will blame my slow start to training this January on the cold weather rather than the few extra pounds I have gained, the lack of motivation, the massive busy schedule I have, or the fact that I am so sleepy due to lack of sleep. Yes, the weather it is!

On a more positive note, I have been having a great time meeting new friends, running new routes, and watching those training for their first ½ marathon bust out with all the drive and motivation one can muster. I am training with Fleet Feet this year which is different than last. There is more structure, more encouragement, more motivation, more education, and more incentive with Fleet Feet than what I have gained in previous training sessions. A few pointers Coach Judy shared with us this week.

1) Runners should run in the middle (hump) of the road as often as possible. When running along the side of the road near or on the shoulder, which slants, a runner will find they start to have knee problems. For example if a runner always runs on the left hand side of the road, they will begin to develop left knee issues, and vice versa on the right.

2) Runners always want to cut the tangent when rounding a corner. Meaning run as close to the side of the road as possible, but only on corners. Also make sure a hand gesture (no not the one you are thinking of) is given so that runners behind will be aware of the runner's movement in front of them.

3) When running up hills runners want to lean forward just a bit, and engage their arms. Using arms will help to propel a runner up the hill. Also slow down, shorten the gate, but add more steps.

More fun tips from coaches, books, articles, and past experience as the training season progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment